Being adopted by a Monster Hunter veteran is brilliant

I'm new to Monster Hunter. I played one of the PSP games years ago for a couple of hours but was left without a clue, and that was it. I was scared of Monster Hunter as a result. It was one of those long-running series renowned for being hardcore. Would I be able to get into it? I knew people said Monster Hunter World was the most accessible yet, but when they spoke Monster Hunter it sounded like a different language to me. I didn't really want to read guide after guide after guide if I could help it. What I wanted was a friend who knew Monster Hunter to show me the ropes, but I didn't have that so what could I do?

I could be adopted. Not full-on adopted but Monster Hunter adopted. You see there's a service out there for timid Monster Hunters like me, who want to break into the series with the help of a friendly hand. A service offering personal mentors to coach people through the game. Mentors to be on-call to answer questions and group with you. A service called Adopt-a-Hunter, and it's free.

Adopt-a-Hunter is a community endeavour with a website but its beating heart is Discord. All you need to do is put your name down as a novice (or a veteran if you think that's you) and eventually you will be paired with a veteran. Then you begin.

Read more…