How Human: Fall Flat rose up to become a smash hit

Its name invites calamity, a certain misfortune, and I absolutely adore it for its blunt simplicity. Human: Fall Flat. That, there, is slapstick served up with a certain eastern European dryness. It's perhaps little wonder, then, that this comic puzzler has done so well in the 18 months or so since its release, having recently racked up some two million sales. Fall flat? It's done just about anything but.

And the single developer behind it, No Brakes Games' Tomas Sakalauskas, must feel like he's soaring right now. Having come from well over a decade working in IT, Sakalauskas decided to turn his hand to making games - a passion of his since he was some nine years old - but those first few years threatened to see his own particular dream fall flat.

"I was doing mobile games initially," he tells me over Skype. "And that almost caused me to close the studio after spending two years on a free-to-play racing title - I needed another two years to finish the project and I ran out of cash."

Read more…