For its first few hours Pokémon Quest is a passive sort of fun

I am the absentee parent to a bunch of Poké-bullies. The only phrase for what these guys are doing - and it is a phrase I have had to dredge from ancient childhood - is duffing people up. They're at it right now, Poké-villains, Poké-jerks. As I type this, they're kicking in a Weepinbell. It is almost a relief when I run out of battery.

Listen: if they run into a Psyduck, I'm going to pull the plug. But as for the moment I'm quite enjoying things. So far, Pokémon Quest is a charming, if devious, bit of flim-flam. Two hours into this "free-to-start" game, I haven't handed over any money, either. But I sense the moment when the hammer drops is coming.

Is it going to be worth paying up? I'm not sure yet. Pokémon Quest is a sort of automated Diablo. You're exploring a lovely island in which everything around you is candy-coloured and made of chunky little cubes. Your Pokémon are made of chunky little cubes too, and once you pick a starter - Pikachu looks rather like a housecat rendered in this art style - you head off on expeditions, which are basically two- or three-minute chunks of Pokémon harassment in which your Pokémon savage other Pokémon.

Read more…