What do I really love about Jet Set Radio Future?

Almost two decades of playing a game, off and on, should leave you with a pretty good idea of what you love about it. But Jet Set Radio Future is different. I love it, almost beyond all other games. But the thing I love about it is so hard to grasp hold of. I do not have the words. But I want the words!

Jet Set Radio Future is a game about skating and spraypainting and doing tricks. I love all that stuff - it is dreamy and inspiring and it makes me feel elegant and in control and screw-the-man and all of that jazz. But it's not what I love most about the game. It has incredible characters and a beautiful, elbowy, constantly surprising soundtrack. I love all of that stuff too, but it's not what I love most about the game - not even Gum, I am so sorry Gum.

If I had to describe Jet Set Radio Future to a bunch of visiting aliens, I would say it's a game about movement. Your feet literally have wheels stuck to them. Standing still in this game is pretty difficult. You are meant to move forward, arms arcing out in both directions, body bent and head jutted like a prow. You are meant to look and feel a bit like a hood ornament, slicing into the wind.

Read more